POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : sphere_sweep woes : sphere_sweep woes Server Time
5 Aug 2024 12:15:49 EDT (-0400)
  sphere_sweep woes
From: James Taylor
Date: 17 Sep 2002 10:37:55
Message: <3d873e43@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

I'm working on a scene with sphere_sweeps, but it renders unusually slow -
there's only 10 points on a cubic spline with just a pigment and the render
drops to 2000 pps. The sphere_sweep seems to be bound incorrectly as well.
Is there anything I can do to speed things up a little? - I've already
adjusted to tolerance to 0.1.

thanks in advance
jim

ps here's the code (cm and mm are just [arbitrary] definitions of units i.e.
cm = 1, mm = 0.1)

#local N=10;
#local Length = 10*cm;
#local Height = 5*mm;
#local Width = 5*mm;
#local y_period = 4;
#local z_period = 4;
#local R1 = 1*mm;
#local R2 = 0.1*mm;
#local i=-1;
sphere_sweep{
    b_spline
    N+1
    #while(i<N)
        <Length/N*i,Height*sin(y_period*pi*i/N),Width*sin(z_period*pi*i/N)>
R1 + (R2-R1)/N*i
        #local i=i+1;
    #end
    pigment{White}